Samsung vows to launch foldable phones in two months
Samsung Electronics vows to launch its bendable handset, the Galaxy Fold, this September. But suspicions are still abundant whether the futuristic smartphone will really hit the market in two months.
The Seoul-based company said July 25 that it has taken the time to fully evaluate the product design, make necessary improvements, and run rigorous tests the changes it made.
The much-hyped model was scheduled to go on sale from April 26 in the United States, but a controversy over screen problems prompted the world’s largest handset maker to delay its commercial debut.
“Samsung is conducting final product tests to make Galaxy Fold available to consumers starting from September in select markets. Availability details will be shared as we get closer to the launch,” a Samsung official said.
In April, many reviewers took issue with the display performance. As a result, Samsung delayed the release of the Galaxy Fold with a price tag of $1,980.
Back then, Samsung said that it will announce the new release date “in the coming weeks,” a promise that the electronics giant failed to keep.
Samsung said that there have been the design and construction improvements over the past few months.
For example, the top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
Earlier this year, some reviewers removed the top protective layer of the display to cause some problems.
“Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience,” the Samsung official said.
According to observers, it remains to be seen whether the futuristic smartphones will really make a commercial success this time around.